Snails in sauce
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 kg of Rigatelle snails (Helix Eobania Vermiculata)
- 500 gr. of tomato pulp
- 4 garlic wedges
- ½ diced onion
- Diced parsely
- 1 or 2 spicy chili peppers
- Extra vergin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Make sure snails are cleansed. Store-bought snails come pre-cleansed. In any case, it is a good idea to conserve the snails in netting in a well-ventilated area. The day before cooking them rinse them out in running water. Then put them in a pot without water, placing a dish with a weight on it to close opening and trap the snails. The next day, clean carefully and if necessary, use a brush to clean off the shells.
- After these important steps, put the snails in a pan with salted water. Begin cooking them over a low flame, removing the foam that forms from time to time. When the snails begin to leave their shells, increase the flame, continue to remove foam occasionally, and cook for twenty minutes. Once they are cooked, drain carefully.
- Add extra virgin olive oil, finely diced onions, parsley, the two garlic wedges and sauté.
- Mix the tomato pulp pieces, the chili peppers to taste and cook at a low flame for 15 minutes; retouch the salt and add the snails.
- Let cook for further 10 minutes so that the snails take on the taste. Serve hot.